Entity
Big Four Depot
Middletown, Ohio, United States of America
Middletown, Ohio, was home to the last mule-drawn street railway in the United States. Established in 1880 by local entrepreneur C.F. Gunkel, the 1.6-mile Middletown and Madison Street Railway connected the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad depot in West Middletown to the Big Four Railroad depot on Middletown's east side. Initially utilizing horses, the line transitioned to mules due to their lower maintenance costs and comparable pulling strength. The service operated continuously until May 4, 1918, when it was replaced by motorized buses, marking the end of mule-drawn street railways in the country.
Now it is a gift shop called Whistle Stop Shop.